Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 July 2022

Last of the hot weather traps...

 Cooler conditions were expected last night (Tues 19/7) and there were lesser numbers of moths in the two garden traps. The night had been partially overcast and a steady drizzle greeted me at c 5.00 am - indeed, after the extraordinary heat of the previous days and nights, it was quite pleasant. I`ll be having a break tonight, after four consecutive nights` trapping.

Again there was a different mix of moths such as three rush veneers, the appearance of several marbled greens and increased numbers of dot moths. There were five Catopria pinella, which is said to favour cotton-grass as a larval food, making me wonder from whence they came - the boggy pastures atop the spine of Gower perhaps? That line of thought was prompted by a possible Elachista serricornis that also appeared as it too utilises that plant. It looks like that species, but I may well be wrong and I want to re-examine it after taking photographs.

Interestingly, a rather battered beautiful hook-tip and a round-winged muslin each put in an appearance and were duly photo`d. It was then that I noticed that I had photos of both moths from exactly the same date (and site) last year, though 2021`s beautiful hook-tip was in pristine form. The photos below are of moths from the previous night (18/7).

                                                 Above: Phycita roborella, an oak-feeder.

                                                                Above: scarce footman.

Above: Blastobasis lacticolella sometimes puts in an appearance with the commoner adustella.



2 comments:

  1. I trapped Monday (only had chance to do two traps over hot period) and had over 80 species but nothing new - did incude Catopria pinella too but we have a good patch of rhos pasture. I have only had it once before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remembered I did have Eucosma cana which is new to me!

    ReplyDelete