Search This Blog

Monday 29 May 2017

New Species for the Woodshed

A very pretty little moth in the woodshed yesterday:


I have it down as Cochylis atricapitana on account of its black head.  Confirmation would be much appreciated.

Another Tortricid, this time from the Friday night catch:


Apologies for the poor image.  From the shape it looks as though it should be one of the familiar Hedya species, but there's more dark blotches in the pale terminal third than is usually the case.  Again I'd be grateful if anyone can put a name to it - H. pruniana would be my best guess.

Other micros in the traps on Friday night were Pseudoswammerdamia combinella and Plutella xylostella, three of each.

10 comments:

  1. Ooh look at the nice reddish mark at the wing tip...this is the bluebell-feeding Hysterophora maculosana, nice record!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`d agree with pruniana Chris - the recommended book `Bird Dropping Tortrix Moths of the BI` is really good for i/d of many similar torts. It also includes your TOP NOTCH species of H.maculosana - something I`ve been on the `look out` for in bluebell woods this spring - without any luck. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intended to get the 'Bird Dropping Moths' book last year but if I remember rightly it was out of print. I see that Atropos have it in stock now, by all accounts it would be a very useful book to have.

      Delete
    2. Correction: I did buy the book after all, albeit the Tortrix Moths version. Forgot I had it. Thanks for reminding me, Ian!

      Delete
  3. PS - yes, you`d better declare your shed as a nature reserve now. You`re not allowed to replace it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian, it doesn't seem to like woods. I've only ever seen it on bracken slopes with bluebells.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering about that George, as there have been two recent coastal cliff-top records in Pembs and Ceredigion. Useful info - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This has quite taken the wind out of my sails, I wasn't looking any further than atricapitana. I guess I'm on a bit of a lucky streak, must do the lottery on Wednesday and put a trap out tonight! Thank you George and Ian for putting me on the right track...again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super find and very nice record. Well done Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Jacqueline, things have certainly been looking up of late, how about you?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.