Search This Blog

Monday 29 May 2017

Salem

I trapped on Saturday night at my parents' - the first time for a month or so and I'm glad I did: 65 species including 5 that were new for me there - lobster, clouded-bordered brindle, green silver-lines, Notocelia cynosbatella and Elachista atricomella (though correct me if I'm wrong on that last one).
Nothing as exciting as the striped hawkmoth sadly, but a couple of migrants in the shape of silver Y, dark sword-grass and diamond-back. The only hawkmoths were poplar (x14) and elephant with small square-spot being the most numerous species overall (35). Lots of attractive ones as expected at this time of year with scorched wing, oak hook-tip, foxglove pug, gold-spot, beautiful golden Y and great prominent personal favourites.
Other than moths, there were just a couple of giant craneflies Tipula maxima and a cockchafer.

Later on sunday I went to Salem Common to look for marsh fritillaries and was fortunate enough to see quite a few on the wing - difficult to say how many but they did include a mating pair. Also a green hairstreak, marbled white-spot and Glyphipterix thrasonella...



1 comment:

  1. Great photos Vaughn and good records too. `Pity` about the great prominent - as I`ve never seen one (jealous!).
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.