Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 April 2017

Miscellaneous moths.

The trap in the other garden referred to in my earlier blog was inspected later but the macros (in terms of numbers and variety ) were disappointing. I did, however catch the tort shown below, which I believe is the `spruce bud moth` Zeiraphera ratzburgiana, a species that I`ve had at this same trap site before, though today`s record is an early date. This species is associated with spruce and pine and the trap was indeed placed below a semi-mature Scot`s pine.

Above: I`ll try to take better out-of-tube photos once these two overactive moths settle down.

Late this afternoon, I had an hour`s walk in the woodland and open areas just east of `Ashpits Pond` in the Llanelli Millennium Coastal Park and I caught Grapholita jungiella, Ancylis badiana, Epiphyas postvittana and missed an Epinotia-type sitting on a poplar trunk (my glass tube got within 1cm of it, before it dropped and disappeared).
I was more lucky when I had to tie my bootlace in some damp willow woodland - I spotted a really tiny Elasticha right next to my boot.

                                              Above: Elachista sp. to be checked further.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.