Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 April 2017

Butterflies at last on Ffos Las

The warmer weather of the past week is at last starting to bring the butterflies out on Ffos Las many days after other people have been starting to see them.

 
I saw my first speckled wood on Saturday 15th April and numbers have leapt to 29 seen today on my regular walk of the Ffos Las 4 mile circuit of footpaths and bridleways.
 
 
Lackey moth larvae first seen yesterday, 18th April
 
 
Green-veined white first seen yesterday.
 
 
Orange tip, also first seen yesterday. 3 individuals seen today.
 
Today I have also seen a male brimstone, a small white and a very battered peacock butterfly. None of these butterflies are rare but they are always a joy to see. Ian had asked me to keep a look out for Adela cuprella feeding on willow blossom as there are many willow trees on Ffos Las but unfortunately most of the blossoms have now dropped but I'm keeping a close eye on those that remain, just in case.



2 comments:

  1. Really glad to see that you`re `back in action` Maggie - keep up the good work. Nice photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ian. It is good to be back but the butterflies haven't been up to now and the couple of moths seen haven't settled for photos so no hope of any identification by me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.