Search This Blog

Sunday 16 October 2016

Trapping in the rain...

I`ve trapped for the last two nights (Fri 14/10 and Sat 15/10) in the garden here at Pwll but the results have been rather paltry, with 7 species caught on Friday and just 6 last night (all common seasonal species). A rush veneer last night was the sole migrant. So, not much to report there!
In recent weeks however, I have been doing short, local forays to look for leaf-mines, all in SE Carmarthenshire (SN40, SN50 and SS59). I started to look through some of the specimens yesterday, focusing on Salix (willows, of which more to follow in due course) but also some others.
In the latter group falls the mines shown below on snowberry Symphoricarpus albus. Correction or confirmation of the suggested mine i/d below will be appreciated - thanks.

Above: is this Phyllonorycter emberezaepenella? (see top right). One of the other mines looks like a dipteran, Chromatomyia lonicerae.

Now that autumn is progressing, please start thinking about getting your records in to Sam on time, before the end of December. This is particularly important this year so that all Carmarthenshire records can then be submitted to the forthcoming new macro-moth atlas.

5 comments:

  1. Ian deserves a new motto:- "Perserva; non deficere!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!...I`ll get my Radford`s flame shoulder one day!...as I said before, `if you don`t try, you don`t get`.
    My old Latin teachers (one nicknamed the predictable `Caesar` and the other the appropriate `Rhino`- you did n`t `cross him`, as I did once) would be pleased that the `old language` is still in use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish I had persevered with Latin, but at 11 years old, when nobody had thought to explain its uses, plus a terrifying head mistress who 'taught' us, I couldn't wait to give it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the Phyllo is more likely to be trifasciella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dave. I`ve been busy on the leaf mines (after your course) and I`m working through some Salix ones at present.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.