Search This Blog

Tuesday 25 October 2022

Here`s why....

 The forewings of the Clifden nonpareil have a grey vaguely reticulated pattern reminiscent of bark and, given that aspen is probably its main larval food-plant in Britain (it will also utilise other poplars), I wondered what colour aspen bark was, as presumably the adult may rest on the trunk by day. Good camouflage would be advantageous. I have seen aspen on innumerable occasions but my memory failed me when trying to conjure an image in my mind of the bark colour. In the Millennium Coastal Park woodlands east of Burry Port aspen is frequent, so I looked at the bark of trees that were planted c. 25 years ago. They were indeed an appropriate grey hue. It may be that the origin of Adam Dare`s new county record back in September 2021 was from these woods and perhaps careful searching of trunks (in season) may yield roosting adults in future.

                                                  Above: Adam`s September 2021 specimen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.