Search This Blog

Monday 15 August 2022

Hot weather trapping

 The recent (too) hot weather saw me trapping on most nights over the last week, but the half-dozen garden trapping sessions were rather disappointing as far as I was concerned. Yes, there was evidence of local dispersal bringing some moths that were probably new for my garden trap site and five common species of migrant appeared, but there was nothing to `trumpet` about! The migrants were: rusty-dot pearl (once), silver y (once), dark sword grass (up to 3 moths on 3 nights), diamond-back (once) and rush veneer (small numbers on every night).

A plume moth initially confused me before I realised that it was a hemp agrimony plume, a species that I`ve recorded as larvae on its host plant or as newly-emerged adults near hemp agrimony; it was new to the garden. Cream-bordered green peas were represented by singles on two nights - always a nice moth to see and a four-spotted footman also turned up. Some `record shots` are offered below.


Above: hemp agrimony plume with the 2nd photo showing it placed next to the scale bar (indicating fore-wing length) in Chris Manley`s book.



Above: two moths associated with conifers - Dioryctria abietella and tawny-barred angle.


1 comment:

  1. I too trapped several times over the hot period with rather disappointing results. Even using the mercury trap a couple of times, whilst bringing in larger numbers, nothing out of the ordinary. I did get a few new micros I had not had before: Epinotia nisella, Mompha propinquella and the Honeysuckle moth.
    .

    ReplyDelete