Search This Blog

Friday 27 May 2022

On the limestone ridge...

I spent an hour or so this morning on the Carboniferous limestone ridge near Crwbin, mostly looking for leaf mines. The most interesting of the latter were the mines of Incurvaria pectinea, found at two sub-sites on hazel. This will be a 2nd vcr for Carms, the first being found at Cnwc y Llwyn, Brechfa by Sam in 2015, with his record being just two days different from mine in terms of the late May date.


While walking along the narrow woodland path, I disturbed a couple of adult Pachyrhabda steropodes - tiny moths that seem to float rather than fly. One obligingly landed on a rock allowing me to take the photo above. Reassuringly I`d previously recorded their larval mines on soft shield-fern at this site, so it`s good that I was n`t imagining things!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.