Search This Blog

Friday 25 March 2022

Orange underwings

 After moaning only this morning about my failure to locate any orange underwings at their classic site at Mynydd Mawr Woodland Park, Tumble, I have just seen two at a site near Llanelli - Cencoed-uchaf. Upon arriving there at c 1.00pm (it`s only c 5 mins drive from my house), I immediately went to the seriously-overgrown rhos pasture (or ex-rhos-pasture!) at the entrance to Cencoed-uchaf. I walked to a position with birches to the front of me and also behind, though obviously I could only look one way at once!

Immediately(!), an orange underwing flew overhead - this is a site that I`ve visited without seeing any on some occasions - flying over the c15-20ft high birches. I then stood watching for more but saw nothing for about 10-15 minutes when another (or possibly the same) rapidly flew overhead. I waited and watched for another 10 mins but nothing reappeared. They are restless moths, flying quickly from tree to tree before settling and often disappearing. The views obtained normally are just a silhouette, though on a few occasions (especially when looking downslope on steep hillsides) the coloration can be viewed before off they fly again. I once saw one at about knee height, flying over the gritstone ridge at Llyn Llech Owain and I know of two people who have seen them resting on the ground, once near Aberdare (Glam) and the other at Cwm Pysgotwr near Rhandirmwyn; both sightings were in the 1980s.

                 Above: where orange underwings were seen today. Cencoed-uchaf, Llanelli.

If anyone wishes to check Mynydd Mawr Woodland Park, now may be the time. Park in the car park accessed from the Tumble- Drefach main road. Walk approximately NE to the gate at the edge of the car park, then, instead of following the tarmacadam path straight ahead, deviate to the right and upslope. Almost immediately cross a small stream (at c SN 540125) and simply follow a rough (but easily walked) path that skirts the c S (upslope) edge of birch scrub. This birch-edge continues for about 10 mins walking - check it, stopping to pause and scrutinise the birch tops. Binoculars are handy.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.