Search This Blog

Monday 1 October 2018

Yellow butterflies in autumn

I walked to the shingle spit at Penrhyngwyn, Machynys (on the coast south of Llanelli) early this afternoon, with the aim of checking the old shooting butts for resting moths. Of the latter I had none, though I`ve noted both an old lady moth and a red underwing there in the past.
What I did see however, was my only clouded yellow of 2018, typically flying at great speed at about waist/chest height. It did not alight so there was no opportunity for photography. My mind also wandered back to the 1980s when some bird-watching friends had a monarch butterfly (also in September) at this locality.
The other recent `yellow butterfly` was a male brimstone in my Pwll garden a couple of days ago.



Above: the Penrhyngwyn shingle. I must remember to check the frequent sea mayweed plants for chamomile shark caterpillars next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.