Search This Blog

Sunday 26 August 2018

Moths home and away

Life has been exceptionally busy since I last posted but I have a couple of poor phone images of what I think are wave moths but can't be more precise than that and would appreciate help with the identifications.

This moth was on my garden gate 1st July. Identified as Engrailed by Chris, Thanks

This moth was on my dining room carpet, 4th July, and despite appearances, was alive! Possibly common white wave or riband wave. the Jury is still out.

29.8.2018 I have since downloaded this photo of the same moth from my camera rather than the mobile phone which does show the moth with the colour more peach than grey, ( no manipulation of either image apart from cropping) so the suggestion of Riband wave from Chris and Andy does fit better from the second photo. Note to self; use the quality camera over mobile phone  whenever possible!

I think that this is a pale tussock moth caterpillar which I saw on the lower reaches of the Watkin path up Snowdon on 25th July having just walked through an area of mixed deciduous woodland. Identity corrected to Vapourer, thanks Vaughn, and details sent to the Gwynedd county recorder.

As always, all help is gratefully received.

17 comments:

  1. The first moth looks like Engrailed to me, Maggie, but the second is a bit of a puzzle. At first I thought Common White Wave, but that species has straighter cross-lines and no discal spot on the forewing. I'll be interested to see what others think. An indication of size would have been helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris for identifying the Engrailed. I should have put a ruler beside the moth on the carpet but it's always to be wise after the event and I was just pleased it stayed still long enough to photograph! From memory, it was about 3 or 3.5 cm across but that is a very rough guestimate.

      Delete
    2. That size would be OK for CWW but I'm still doubtful because of the wing markings.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The colour in reality was more peach than grey but the mobile phone struggled with the colour against the much darker red of the carpet.

      Delete
    2. Riband Wave did occur to me, it would certainly explain the waviness of the cross-lines, but I've never seen one that white. However, if it was peach-coloured that's fine and I would go along with Andy's suggestion, the colour not being so odd after all.

      Delete
    3. Thanks both. As you can see, I've updated my original post to include a photo from my camera which gives a better reproduction of the colour but that hadn't been downloaded when I made my original post.

      Delete
  3. When you are inspecting the features of contemporary architectural design to include in your modern home plans, there are many different things to look for.glam tabletop

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the off chance that this sounds natural, at that point a custom home is only for you. With a heap of home plans accessible, and the simplicity of changing the floorplan to address your issues you can rapidly have a home that is all that you have ever needed! carpet cleaning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Numerous planters decide on organic products, for example, watermelons, tomatoes, peaches, plums, apples, pears, and apricots. discover more

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a reality that a pool will draw in a higher quality buyer. weekly pool service near me

    ReplyDelete
  7. This article is an appealing wealth of informative data that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. You’ve got what it takes to get attention. we buy Code Violation houses for cash Des Moines Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. Gutter contractor company

    ReplyDelete
  9. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! sửa nhà hà nội

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article. york county, pa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waow this is quite pleasant article, my sister love to read such type of post, I am going to tell her and bookmarking this webpage. Thanks General Contractor Maryland

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.