Search This Blog

Monday 22 May 2017

100 up.

94 moths of 41 species with 14 FFYs were tempted to visit the MV trap in the alder grove at Cwmllwyd last night (Sunday 21 May), bringing the total identified so far this year to 101 species. Not a great quantity, I think; held back by cold nights and inclement weather for most of the spring, along with the ineptitude of the observer.

Among the larger moths last night were Pale Tussock, Clouded Silver, May Highflyer, Purple Bar, Least Black Arches, Marbled White-spot, Scorched Wing and this;

 Clouded-bordered Brindle f. combusta.

Unfortunately, several micros were also found, so there are quite likely to be a number of errors in the captions below (as well as poor quality photos): if anyone would care to correct these, it would be much appreciated.

 Epiblema scutulana

 Phyllonorycter quercifoliella

 Gracillaria (Caloptilia) syringella

 Apple Fruit Moth Argyresthia conjugella

6 comments:

  1. I've no idea how many species I've recorded this year, Steve, which puts me higher on the scale of ineptitude than you, so I wouldn't take issue with any of your micro idents. Your photos are surely good enough for someone to confirm them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so Chris. I'm jealous of your Treble Lines, by the way - never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we were kids I'd offer to swap my Treble Lines for one of your mountain species!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to offer Ian a Glaucous Shears in exchange for a Pine Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I would like a Pine Beauty too but don't have a suitable swap just now, maybe Double Dart if they appear early enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don`t want a glaucous shears, but I`ll certainly swap for an autumn green carpet, great prominent or Haworth`s minor!
    As kids in the early 1960s, we always seemed to be swapping cards etc.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.