Search This Blog

Thursday, 20 August 2026

Third Time Lucky.... I get my stripes!

 The weather forecast for last night was not favourable, with gusty winds forecast (for Llanelli at least) for much of the night. Later in the early evening the forecast changed, with the winds predicted to abate by c 11.30pm or so. I therefore decided to put out the roof-top actinic, which was duly done. About 9.00pm or so, I re-checked the forecast and it had reverted to rather strong westerlies again (and more rain - which did n`t actually transpire!), but I could not be bothered to take the trap down from its lofty `perch`, so it was switched on and left to the elements.

This morning, at c 4.30 or so, I checked the contents and I could immediately see there were hardly any moths. I went through the catch and there were about 10 species in very small numbers. These I did n`t even bother to jot down as they were all repeats of the previous night. Even small mottled willow - the bumper moth of 2026 - was down to only one.
All in all, a waste of time and electricity - except - there was a very placid striped hawk-moth under one of the egg cartons. This is the 3rd that I`ve recorded in this good year for this species but the first time I`d been able to photograph it. You may recall that my first one (some weeks ago) was settled outside my trap (late in the evening after about an hour`s darkness) but was spooked and flew off when I ascended the ladder to inspect the trap. It flew off around the side of the house (and out of sight) only to return about a minute later to circle the trap but then fly off again! I expected it to return overnight, but it did n`t.  The 2nd individual was only a few nights` ago and actually in the trap - but with its wings already buzzing for `take off`, which it did in the few seconds when I turned around to get a large enough container. More cursing!
Whatever, last night`s `stripey` was a `good boy` - hence the photos below.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.