Search This Blog

Wednesday, 26 August 2026

The Beauty is a Beast...

 Noting Adam`s first box moth (or box tree moth), I`d like to make some comments on this pest alien which is ravaging box bushes all over southern Britain. I have a tall box hedge (c 15ft long x 12 ft high) which forms an invaluable visual barrier between my garden and that of a neighbour; it was planted in c 1981. Being aware of the impact of the box moth, I have been only doing minor pruning of the hedge in mid-winter, thinking perhaps that the smell of cut box might attract the adult moths in the warmer months. Up to this year, I`ve only had very minor damage, so I was hoping that there were advantages in my approach. However, summer 2026 has seen extensive damage with large areas of eaten leaves with, upon closer inspection, also spinnings and frass (caterpillar droppings). The consequent dead leaves are pale straw. in colour. Last year I noticed an increase in the frequency and numbers of adult moths in my trap, likely a sign of things to come. More generally, the only `good` thing is that the damage is so distinctive - basically pale straw patches - that it is easy to spot for recording purposes. I noted one such example last weekend whilst driving - a probably new 10km square record for SN50 (E Llanelli). Others may wish to keep a look out wherever there are box bushes in the county - I suspect that it is established elsewhere.

As well as the normal mostly white adults, a significant minority of the adults in my garden are the brown-purple form - a photo of one is given below. I also include a photo of part of my hedge showing the dead, pale leaves (with a little darker green live foliage in the `left-background`). This paleness is not due to this year`s long drought - box is a tough plant of chalky hills and it can handle desiccation - it because of this Chinese invader.



On a happier note, I had another striped hawk-moth in my trap last night (25/8). Photo below:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.