Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 April 2024

New Emperor Born This Morning

 


This female Emperor Moth emerged this morning from one of two cocoons which I have overwintered in my greenhouse.  I was hoping for a female so that 'assembling' a male or two might be on the cards, but sadly she has chosen to appear during very poor weather, and I can't imagine that there will be any males on the wing today.  Perhaps an opportunity will present itself later in the week.

There has been no trapping at Maenol so far this year, a combination of poor eyesight and arthritic hands (not to say inclement weather) has put me off the idea so far.  However, I had cataract removal surgery last week and it's possible that improved sight may encourage me to bring a trap or two out of hibernation in due course.  On the subject of moth traps, I have at least two which are surplus to any future requirements and I would happily pass them on to anyone who might make good use of them, whether an individual or an institution - a school, for example.  Suggestions would be welcome, I can post further details if there's any interest, they would be free to any worthy cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment