Search This Blog

Thursday 7 July 2022

Maenol 07/07/2022

Although in semi-retirement from moth trapping I plan to reactivate my traps on a few occasions in mid-summer, largely in order to see whether the V-Moth is still around hereabouts.  To this end I put a small Skinner actinic trap out last evening in mild, overcast conditions, and was rewarded with a catch of 70+ moths (I didn't count all of the Grass Veneers).  40 species were recorded, the most notable being a Bordered Straw.  Others worthy of mention were Clay Triple-lines, Sandy Carpet, Double Dart, Poplar Grey, and Agonopterix yeatiana - subject to confirmation! **

Agonopterix yeatiana
Clay Triple-lines
Bordered Straw

No V-Moth sadly, perhaps next time!  It was nice to see Bordered Straw though, a moth that I've caught only once before, in December 2015.  I believe that 2015 was a bumper year for them.

** Update: on reflection the Agonopterix seems more likely to be A.nervosa, the brown terminal fringe in particular favours this species, also more likely in this area.

Another notable and familiar species in the trap was Double Line, always a nice one to see.



1 comment:

  1. That`s a nice result, Chris! In contrast, my home catch last night only had 17 species, all in small numbers. My current home trap site is very unexciting and I`m getting greater pleasure from daytime mothing at present.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.