Search This Blog

Monday 21 March 2022

Recent activity...

 As the forecast for the night of Thurs 17th March was for overcast conditions, out went the light trap. The resulting captives on the following morning comprised nine typical early spring species including an oak nycteoline, a highly variable species that looks like a tortricid.

Last week, George Tordoff alerted me (and Sam) to numerous captures of Pammene giganteana being reported on the Facebook site `Moth Pheromone Trap Records`, including captures that he had made at Cardiff (using the `FUN` lure). Coincidentally I was about to order some pheromones for various candidate clearwings, so I added a couple of extra to my order (the `FUN` and `SKI` pheromones) in order to see if too could capture giganteana. The lures duly arrived and, on Saturday, I tried out the `FUN` lure at two sites - my garden and a nearby wooded path at Furnace, Llanelli. No luck.

Today (21/3), I put out the `SKI` lure at the same sites, initially trying at my garden for obvious convenience. I left the trap, returned to the house to do some petty tasks and about 15 minutes later checked the trap - there were 5 P. giganteana in or around the trap! I tried to pot the individuals flying around or settling on the exterior of the trap, but failed, with the moths all flying away. Luckily, two were inside the trap so it was taken indoors and one moth was potted up then placed in the fridge for about 10 minutes. Given that most of the others had rapidly flown away this individual became quite placid, remaining  still in the plastic pot, and also when gently tapped out allowing photos to be taken. Soon afterwards, I also lured this species at the Furnace site mentioned above.

(My trap and lures were bought from Anglian Lepidopterists Supplies (ALS).)

      Above: Pammene giganteana, this early-flying oak feeder is seemingly new to Carmarthenshire.


1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.