Search This Blog

Saturday 1 September 2018

Omen of death is a `lifer`

I had the usual two traps out in my Pwll garden last night (31/8) and I checked them at the respectable time of 6.30 am this morning, which ties in nicely with my daily circadian rhythm of activity unlike mid-summer when inconvenient early starts are required.
The moths in my MV were nothing out of the ordinary - the usual late summer/early autumn residents and common migrants (silver ys and a couple of dark sword-grasses).

However, it was a different `kettle of fish` in my mains actinic trap - in fact, I could not miss the first moth of note, given its size and where it was settled atop the side of the box. It was a death`s-head hawk moth, a `lifer` for me and one that I`d always wanted to see.
The other good record was my third cream-bordered green pea in recent weeks.


Above: two photos of last night`s moth. This harmless species has a reputation for evil and supernatural influences; indeed in some cultures it`s considered to be a harbinger of death and misfortune.

               Above: my `hat trick` cream-bordered green pea, my third second brooder.

It is worth trapping again tonight - overcast and with S or SE winds.

13 comments:

  1. Brilliant result Ian, well done indeed. What a great experience that must have been when you first opened the trap, you'll never forget it I'm sure! Don't forget to point it in a northerly direction when you let it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris and a big surprise. I never thought that I`d see one before I `pop my cloggers`!
      I`ll ensure that it`s pointing northwards to overfly the top secret `Maenol Migrant Moth Magnet`.

      Delete
    2. Sadly I can't put a trap out tonight but never mind, but it'll probably find a bright light shining over Bancyffordd or Saron

      Delete
  2. Nice one. Did see some caterpillars once on someone's spuds. Quiet here although an Anomalous was new for me last night. Actinics will be out again tonight, fed up with wasps !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is fabulous, Ian. There are 8 previous records: 1871, 1951, 1958, 1998 (x2), 2003, 2007 & 2009. Did you poke it to hear it squeak?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Ian, just Wow! And, very well done! Along with another Pea - it doesn't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. Apparently there was another one - found dead at a roadside - far way in Sutherland a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! A once in a lifetime experience (unless you get really lucky and catch another!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've twitched a few but never had the excitement of finding one myself. The magician of Pwll strikes again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant Ian, send him across the water when you are done. I did have a Pea the same night but not the big guy. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.