Search This Blog

Monday 3 September 2018

Llansteffan moths

I haven't posted much over this past year, but I have still been moth-ing as usual.
The night of 1st September I trapped and caught another Cream-bordered Green Pea this year, a bit of a tatty one.

I also caught this little chap, I believe it's called Nephopterix angustella, it's in the fridge so I can get a better photo tomorrow.


After Ian's latest catch it's prompted me to post something.

                                                                                     





7 comments:

  1. Nephopterix is a fantastic find, Mel - and one that I`ve been after for ages. It`s associated with spindle and I have left my trap/s out in the past by the spindle thickets at Penybedd Wood, Pembrey in the hope of getting it, but either my timing has been wrong or it`s not there. A NCR for Carms and now my turn to be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I caught this in my own garden, I don't know of spindle around here apart from green castle woods and thats too far away. I did look to see on the 2016 list and found it's not there. I'll swop you for the Hawk moth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may try `beating and sweeping` some spindle near Pwll if I get a chance and the weather remains dry...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Mel. Nephopterix is indeed new for the county. I have been catching one a night at Dingestow (Monmouthshire) this year, and in previous years have caught more when moths are wandering. I suspect yours will be a wanderer rather than indicating a resident Carms colony, although I may be wrong. I have never beaten/swept Nephopterix in VC35, Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top quality, as always Mel. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant Mel, Llansteffan's obviously an ace place, I must get on to Purple Bricks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all your comments much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.