Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 August 2018

I've just returned from two nights trapping at a farm house somewhere between Llandovery, Llandeilo and Lampeter and the farmyard straddles (SN69 and SN70)! Corrected to read SN63 and SN73 I ran my friend's MV trap in SN70 and my 15w actinic in SN70 and despite the rain on Saturday night, the traps were absolutely heaving. On Sunday night the actinic did best although the MV was turned off for a short period whilst the meteor showers were observed so that might have had quite a negative effect. I have a few moths that I need confirmation on as they are new to me or not familiar with.......... First are several Peacocks or Sharp-angled Peacock and I would like opinions. In Hertfordshire I recorded the first ever confirmed record of Sharp-angled so I am very wary of making decision. There were a lot of them in the traps. I retained one for dissection. Second is confirmation that this is a Hedge Rustic? There were two in SN69. Finally a Marbled Carpet which I am pretty positive is Dark Marbled Carpet - size and shape is identical to that in the Field Guide to Moths. I did retain it but didn't note the absolute diagnostic feature postmedian line on the underwing. I will post the lists later when I have been able to confirm these moths. Sorry that the order is a bit disjointed but I always struggle with these posts! Many thanks Liz Goodyear Usually in VC20!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Liz, long time no speak!
    As far as I`m aware, only sharp-angled peacocks have been recorded in Carms (where it is commonly caught). The other moth does indeed look like a hedge rustic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and good to hear from you as well! If anyone wants to comment on the 'Dark' Marbled Carpet - I would be most grateful! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a Dark Marbled Carpet but a view from the underside should confirm this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately the moth wasn't retained and I didn't check the underside! However, it was absolute fit on the Lewington drawing in the Field Guide and the shape just looked different to the Common Marbled Carpets I usually see

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.