Search This Blog

Tuesday 13 June 2017

Large Yellow Underwing season has begun!

Two actinic traps were set yesterday evening since the forecast was for a dry night.  Was it heck!  I attended the traps at 0430 in a steady drizzle.  Never mind, there had been plenty of moth activity, including - yes, several very lively LYUs!  Others in plentiful supply were Heart & Darts, White and Buff Ermines,  Flames, and Ingrailed Clays.  FFYs were Brussels Lace, Double Line (2), Mottled Beauty (3), Marbled White-spot, and Brown China-mark.  More notable, however, was another Pyralid species which I believe is Anania (Phlyctaenia) stachydalis.  If so it's a first for me.  The books say that the species is rare/scarce, but evidently not in Carmarthenshire - Sam's list says that there have been 40 records in the County.

 Anania stachydalis rather than A.coronata, judging from the wing markings and shape.


 
Left to right: Brussels Lace, Mottled Beauty f.conversaria, Double Line

Every time I see an Ingrailed Clay I think I've caught something special, they are so strikingly varied. Some examples below:





4 comments:

  1. Well done on the P stachydalis, Chris. They seem to have increased in south Wales in the last 20 years, and there are a few recent records for Monmouthshire. However, this was a real Jon Special in the early 2000s, with Jon's trap-site near Carmarthen producing multiple individuals through the summer but very few other British records.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice record Chris. I had it last year (or the previous year?) in my garden too - perhaps a reflection of its increased weediness, with hedge woundwort, a smelly, rhizomatous labiate increasing (the food-plant of stachydalis).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, very nice record, good catch! Hope it turns up in my garden as I have hedge woundwort in my garden especially for the wildlife. Haven't had the LYU's....yet, but haven't been trapping for over a week because of the weather, so haven't seen the Ingrailed Clay either. As you say, incredible variety, and all very nicely marked too. Happy trapping Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments. Plenty of the food plant here, too, good for the moths but I've never been tempted to test its medicinal properties!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.