Search This Blog

Monday 1 May 2017

Fun with birches - looking for leaf mines.

On Saturday (29/4) after a brief shopping trip (the briefer the better, I say), I needed some mothy medication, so I visited an area of brownfield habitat adjacent to the Morfa Roundabout in the South Llanelli area. The weather was poor and I did n`t see or was able to beat/sweep any adult moths, but there were a few leaf mines (in small quantity) on some self-sown birches and I collected four examples.
Looking at the Monmouthshire moth blog last night, I coincidentally saw that there was a very useful and interesting posting by Sam on birch leaf mines. It is really worth looking at - do read it.
Anyway, it is only this morning (Monday, 1st May), that I`m looking at my collection and I was pleased to note that one leaf held the easy-to-identify (as it`s all grey) Eriocrania sangii.


Above: the blotch mine unopened above, with the larva showing vaguely on the right-hand side and, below, opened up with the larva clearly visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.