Search This Blog

Sunday 9 April 2017

The Night of the Brindled Beauty

45 of them, to be precise, in (or around) the MV trap at Cwmllwyd last night (Saturday 8th April). It was so good to see the midges back, too!


It was nowhere near as chilly as certain people had predicted (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean, say no more), but local knowledge prevailed to an extent - we had 117 moths of 16 species, including four FFYs.

 Water Carpet

 Lunar Marbled Brown

 Streamer - two of these; but whereas the Water Carpet is a calm (docile, even) creature, the Streamer is a flighty blighter and could not be pictured out of the pot. I've put them both in the fridge to teach them the error of their ways - I will try for a better photo later.

I believe this to be Epinotia immundana: well, the trap was in the alder grove, after all. It's a first for me, so if anyone can confirm I will be most grateful, although this will not be manifested in any tangible way.


At least it's not in a pot this time.

4 comments:

  1. Cough, cough!...I`m glad that you had some good results Steve. I`m shoving my traps out tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Steve for trapping against all advice! It was quite a mild night here so I regretted not following your example. I'll probably remedy that tonight. E. immundana seems a likely candidate for your micro but I don't know how certain you can be from the photo, even though it's an excellent one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Steve, I followed advice from certain quarters too and didn't trap last night....Tonight I'm trapping 😃.
    I never get the numbers you get though, but heres hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my eye on those Streamers. Would like to catch one.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.