Search This Blog

Saturday 22 April 2017

Moth ID for Carmarthenshire North

Robinson Trap at my garden Saturday 22 Apr 2017 - Carmarthenshire North

Could I ask for an id on this particular moth please. I was thinking Double-barred Twin-spot??

Sorry, but photos not very clear as I didn't want to take lid off in case it escaped. Is this moth a Double-barred Twin-spot? Initially, when I glanced at it on the wall a 'Red Twin-spot' came to mind, but further inspection against the Field Guide, made me think it looked more like the Double-barred Twin-spot??  It has the single white 'spike' on either side of the white upper collar, and the wing tips look the same for the DBTS?
                     

                                                                              

Thank you for your help with this.

4 comments:

  1. Have a look at the very useful article `Identification Forum` re i/d of this `species pair` by Jon Baker in Newsletter No 3 (to access, go to the `Newsletter Archive` on the top R-hand side of the blog page).
    I take it that you mean `dark-barred` rather than `double-barred`-the sort of `tired error` that I often do!
    I`d say that it`s red twin-spot carpet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. for info, the main reason I`ve offered the above i/d is because of the depth/shape of the `step` at the rear edge of the darker median (middle) band. This `step` seems shallower/less abrupt to me, pointing to RTSC. Also, the above band is narrower, again suggesting RTSC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your explanation Ian. Yes, I did mean Dark-barred. I'll have to check out the article, and I'll try and get a clearer photo later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No luck with more photos, it flew soon as the lid came off!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.