Search This Blog

Thursday 16 February 2017

Persistence pays off

 

This morning was an object lesson in persistence.  When I first checked the trap at Cnwc y Llwyn (Brechfa) I came away disappointed: there were no moths in it and just 2 Pale Brindled Beauties on the wall.  After breakfast I returned and searched the surrounding 3m radius, revealing 4 Pale Brindled Beauty, 1 Dotted Border, 1 Spring Usher and 1 Early Moth: not bad for February!  Many/most moths don't make it into the trap, particularly on cool nights.  It's important to site a trap so that the surroundings are searchable - my regular Cnwc and Dingestow trap sites have a gravel/concrete base edged with walls up which roses, ferns and long grass grow, so there are plenty of hiding places but it's easy enough to search through them methodically.

 

1 comment:

  1. I had three Dotted border last night, and two more Pale Brindled Beauties, all of them around the trap. I nearly mistook the DBs for Mottled Umber though. Must concentrate!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.